the great norwegian glacier hike

Our travels to Vestland were motivated by Peter's desire to hike on blue-ice glaciers (which he expects to vanish before he's an adult). And so we did.  Well, two of us did.  The hike, lead by a sherpa from Nepal, was tough.  The lead in to the glacier took about one and half hours follwed by another hour or so ice trudging with krampons and ice picks.  I could not do more than meet the glacier at its edge but Eric and Peter made the trek.  They said it was crunchy, surprisingly beautiful and slow.  I waited and froze.  It was amazing to see the blue ice and sobering to realize how little is left.  

Norway is more striking than I imagined. Experiencing the fiords and mountains is as close to a religious expereince as I have.  I'm grateful Peter convinced us to see it. 

Of course, we continued hiking despite the exhaustion and sore knees. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're in Scandinavia!

Heavenly Breakfast in Hamburg (after 3 planes, 4 trains, 1 boat and a car)

People in Milan seem to like each other