People in Milan seem to like each other
We arrived in Milan last night and are staying at a hostel that's clearly the heart of the local community. The architecture is urban, and much of the infrastructure is a bit decrepit, As if NYC neighborhoods from our youth were wired a bit more like Delhi or Juarez.
Our first instinct was to be anxious, but then we noticed the social dynamics.
The Madama Hostel's builiding is a former police station. The staff and residents are very friendly and helpful. There's lots of artwork and signs clearly signaling that "love is love" and statements celebrating gender-id-orientation inclusive norms.
Our hostel also hosts a continously busy sidewalk tratoria (restaurant). Long tables seating maybe a dozen, all in lively conversation, and some conversations clearly extending across multiple tables. Every few blocks contains another park with a similar dynamic.
Do people in the neighborhood actually like (rather than fear) each other?
Below: photos of the Madama Hostel's lobby and sidewalk restaurant and frightening wiring in a rail switchyard.


I’m digging the variety of pant silhouettes. Could you post a little more street style please? How’s the dairy experiment going?
ReplyDeleteSeems that Na & Mg keep my gut (& skin & eyes & sinuses) happy. My food sensitivities are easily managed with calcium citrate. Today I had so much dairy (gouda for breakfast & afternoon snack, gelato midday and evening, and lasagna with dinner) that I probably consumed 1.5g of Ca.
DeleteLots of street art here. Graffiti and giant murals on many buildings. I'll try to find some more pics.
Delete